Saturday, May 16, 2009

GUNDAM WEEK 7: ONE LAST LOOK

Well, because the reams and reams of copy I wrote about the various permutations of the Gundam metaseries is all well and good but sometimes you need to have visual proof to know what I'm talking about, the following Youtube clips are submitted for your edification (yes, I know Youtube clips are my stock and trade on the other blog, but I figured I could get away with it here. Once. Maybe.)

From the very good but sadly not covered in my analysis series 08th MS Team comes the following. One Zeon pilot takes on an entire platoon just to buy time for a hospital ship to escape:



From G Gundam, a fairly typical moment of the series, as Domon Kasshu uses the Erputing Burning Finger (make all the jokes you like--I have!) to own the living hell out of someone.



For those of you who say "That's absolutely ridiculous!' My answer is "Yeah, pretty much. It's melodramatic, ridiculous, and positively revels in it." Think of it as the anime equivalent of Batman throwing a car battery at someone.

From Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (which was also not covered, primarily because it's not terribly good from a storytelling standpoint) We have series anti-hero, the Zeon ace known as Anavel Gato, taking revenge for the defeat of his country . . .by whipping out a nuclear-missle firing bazooka and taking out an entire spacefleet. As you do.



Finally, to end on a note more consistent with the heart of the series rather than the whammo-blammo stuff above, here's the end of the quite amazing Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket series. Very little whammo-blammo here, but perhaps Gundam at its best. It's a bit long (and spoiler-iffic and out of context, but whatever) but worth your time.

No comments: