Saturday, August 14, 2010

Kazkeage's Hipocrisy Korner

In which, in the first of what I hope are not too many installments in this series, wherein I post retractions, adjustments, and slight backpedals of positions I was happy to thumb my chest and thunder out mighty absolutes. As only five people read this, I feel like I'm safe in confiding here--it's my little courage journal.

Let's have this clear in our minds from the start: I hate Scott Pilgrim. I think, to borrow a line from Spaced it's boil in the bag instant nostalgia for people who's only contact with video games is what they see printed on T-shirts in places like Hot Topic, and it's analogous to when music elitists namedrop bands they ever heard (because if everyone who said they'd listen to Melvins actually listened to the Melvins, they'd be septuple platinum by now) to sound cool. 2010 is shaping up to be a good year solely because I got to see both Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim crash and burn at the box office.

The schadenfreude is delicious.

However . . .the Scott Pilgrim game is pretty awesome. Not because of anything to do with Scott Pilgrim (which I am damn sick of typing) but because it's basically an HD version of River City Ransom, by way of those Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4-player games that were everywhere in the early 1990s. And it's $10. Kinda good.

Not having anything to do in any way shape or form with Michael Cera also helps. Y'know: I kind of wish he'd drown. In the middle of the desert. On Kool-Aid.

I can't say this totally turns my heart around on Scott Pilgrim (it doesn't. Oh lord, how it doesn't) I'm just saying in this one case, something I daily decry led indirectly to something I enjoyed, while Blazblue: Continuum Shift (which I loved the first installment of) managed to be a great big pudding cup of unfocused disappointment.

There is ebb and flow in all things.

No comments: