Saturday, February 21, 2009

Classicos De Sabado Kazekage #5--The Urban Legend That Is LOMAX! NYPD!

Well, how about this--The features are finally beginning to return.

Today's classic are three Photoshop-buggered covers from one of the many Atlas/Seaboard comics of the 70's. For those of you unfamiliar with the name, imagine a new comics company launched with top talent, concepts that were little more than ripoffs, and editorial directions that changed from issue to issue. Suffice it to say, the end results were bizarre at best, schizophrenic at worst.

The Atlas comic under assault here was Police Action, featuring Lomax: NYPD, who was supposed to be a knockoff of Kojak, but because the head of Atlas wasn't going to licence the actual comic and wasn't about to get sued for it, it was changed in such a way as that it didn't resemble Kojak at all.

I should also mention that Police Action features Lomax eating a hot dog in side view in one long panel that is absolutely terrifying in terms of the potential Freudian implications of the image. I'll have to post it someday, I reckon. For now, enjoy these covers!



I've always found ventriloquists to be the seamy underbelly of showbiz--how about you?

Marksmanship provided by the Imperial Stormtrooper Academy!

1 comment:

C. Elam said...

Since Blogger is letting me comment on your blog again, I just want to say how happy I am to see these pics here. I don't remember how much that set cost, but it was worth every penny to see these as a result. Honestly, I would pay good money to see a Lomax series written by you.

I may link this entry on my own blog, if you don't mind.