Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Just Sayin'--Some Very Late Quick Hits

JUSTICE LEAGUE #1--Yes, I am just now getting my copy. It's not so surprising I'm this late, is it? Anyways, this was pretty mediocre. I don't know what I was expecting, but if I had to guess I would say I was hoped the Jim Lee who did X-Men #1 twenty years ago had showed up to work and covered up a weak story with dazzling page layouts because I really think that would have helped here.

On the other hands, Superman smacked Green Lantern around. That part wasn't bad.

BATWOMAN #1-2--This, however, was just splendid, for the most part. It was great to see that not only are there cool hooks setting up (resolving the business with the Colonel--finally--left over from "Elegy") Chase and the DEO (kinda glad Bones made it over to the new 52 continuity, as he ended up being my favourite Infinity Inc. character for reasons best termed "bizarre" but seriously, guys, Mr. Bones is fucking cool) and the Batman Inc stuff which I hope is just there to give an early rub to the book, as I prefer Batwoman kinda standing on its own as its own thing.

The best thing about this issue is the relationship between Kate and Maggie Sawyer and how their relationship forms the fulcrum for the plot. Sawyer is caught between Chase trying to investigate Batwoman and she's working on the case du jour (the Weeping Woman, who so far is slightly abstract and very creepy) and Batwoman putting pressure on Sawyer leads Sawyer to work with Chase, which will eventually hurt Kate. It's actually pretty well-realised and handled with an surprising lack of cheap melodrama. Kinda interested to see where it goes from here.

Not really sure about Flamebird, however, but I have sufficient faith in the creators to give them time to see how this plays out.

No comments: